[pure-silver] Re: Combination Toner Test

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 03:21:50 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Bouzard" <Daniel.BOUZARD@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 2:28 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Combination Toner Test

Hello Richard,

What I use is a little bite different but it is supposed to react more
or less like the old polytoner. I use it very diluted.

   Viradon                         1ml
   Sélénium Maco                   2ml
   Sodium carbonate 10% solution   35ml
   Water                           1000ml

I put the print in the solution for 5 to 10 sec and then run hot water
at 45°C on it for 2 to 3mn and then in 10% sultite solution for 2 mn.
I use this mainly with Bergger CV CB a warm tone paper and I get very
nice cooler slightly blue blacks and subtle slightly yellowish hightlight. I
did not get colored borders as mentionned earlier with very diluted
polysulphure toners

       Daniel

I will post the version of this toner given in a Kodak publication because it is closer to what you are doing. Of course it uses Kodak toners. There may be differences in the toners. I don't know what is in the Maco toner, there are several variations of Selenium toners, some of which have some sulfide in them. Viradon does not list Sodium Carbonate as does KBT, this is on the label and MSDS but who knows what is actually in it.
These two variations of the combination formula come from a Kodak booklet titled _Professional Printing_ first 1953 edition, included in the _Kodak Professional Handbook_. Here are the formulas for reference. I have not tried either of these.
Hue No.1
Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 17.0 ml
Kodak Brown Toner 75.0 ml
Kodalk 30.0 grams
Water to make 1.0 liter

Replenish with KRST diluted 1:5, add 30 ml for per 10 8x10 prints per liter.
Use full strength. Tone for about 3 minutes at 70F

Hue No.2

Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner            2.0 ml
Kodak Brown Toner                   100.0 ml
Kodalk                                8.0 grams
Water to make                         1.0 liter

Tone prints for 7 minutes at 70F
Replenish using KRST diluted 1:20, add 30ml for each 10 8x10 prints toned per liter.

The two tones are described as: No.1 a "rich, red-brown" and No.2, a "warm brown".
The instructions state that No.2 tends to reduce the print slightly so prints to be toned should be slightly darker than desired.

I did note any tendency to bleach with the original formula.

The text states that the Selenium toner is carried off with the prints so it must be replenished with KRST as specified.

Since posting I have also tested the original combination formula on prints made on Freestyle Arista II, which I believe to be Kentmere paper. It toned very quickly to a purplish brown. Complete toning seems to occur within 2 minutes at room temperature. This paper tones is neutral to slightly cold when developed in Agfa Neutol Plus. KRST 1:9 turns it a slightly purplish color with some intensification (about 5 minutes). In Kodak Brown toner it turns a slightly reddish brown, not really sepia, but a much stronger color than in Selenium. Toned for about 5 minutes at 90F. In the combination toner the paper becomes a cool sepia, strongly colored. Toned for 2 minutes at 75F. There appears to be a very slight toning or staining of the highlights with KBT and the combination toner but these are bled edge prints so there is no clear unexposed area to compare. The difference is apparent only on direct comparison to the white area of an untoned print on the same paper.

---