[pure-silver] Re: Colour paper emulsion in bottles ? Warning some digital content!

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 02:34:11 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laurence Cuffe" <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 2:11 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Colour paper emulsion in bottles ? Warning some digital content!

I Don think such a product will be available, because colour films and papers are normally built up of a sequence of light sensitive layers, each of which is sensitive to a different wavelength. However I think a similar effect could be achieved by using a gum bichromate process, using three different layers of pigment. One other alternative, which I regret to say, involves using a digitized image, would be to make an inkjet print and then transfer the image to the Eucalyptus paper. I would do this by printing the image initially onto a soft absorbent paper such as blotting paper, and then lay this on the Eucalyptus paper and soak the back of the sheet with oil of wintergreen or some other solvent. (Oil of wintergreen used to work with Epsom dye based inks) You might have to play around with a range of solvents for modern inks.

All the best
Laurence Cuffe

On Friday, February 26, 2010, at 04:35AM, "Snoopy" <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear ist(s),

as friend of mine is a "painter" who usually paints on her own self-made paper. This is made from Eucalyptus trees and is a very structured surface, the paper "sheets" are almost 2 inches (4 centimeters) thick
and have large fibres running criss-cross.

She would like to try exposing colour photographs on such "sheets". So
the first question is:

Can one get hold of light sensitive colour emulsion for papers in bottles like for b/w ? You can still buy the b/w stuff, but she wants
colour.

I know other practical problems abound, like the paper soaking up masses of chemistry (though she believes she can wax/plastic coat the fibres so
that it will be like RC paper), drying etc.

If all goes well, this will keep me off the streets for years! :-)

Any pointers, hints etc. are deeply appreciated.

I hope people do not mind the cross-post to two lists: I am not sure how
many ure-silver folks are also on chroma...

Thanks !

Love,
Snoopy

Two things suggest themselves. One is the possibility of lifting the emulsion from RC paper after it is exposed and processed and transferring it to another material. I don't know how practical this is. Older RC papers often came apart after long water soaks but modern materials are designed to resist this. Another possibility is to undertake three color carbon prints. This is an elaborate process which is far from easy to do well. I am not sure what kinds of paper the carbon tissue will adhere to. Coating even B&W paper is not a trivial process although its not too hard to make salt prints. Color, as someone else mentioned, has extremely intricate coatings, made of many layers. The control is coating is a truely remarkable achievement of industrial control.