[pure-silver] Re: Calibrating a colour enlarger to ISO paper grades wrt Way Beyond Monochrome

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:41:01 -0600

So, it seems that the upshot of this is the same as it would be with "real world testing," where you print a step wedge for each filtration number and then read it on a reflection densitometer to find out what the scale of the paper is at each number?

Your method seems a lot more complicated. Why would you do it that way?

--shannon

On Nov 27, 2009, at 7:39 AM, Tom Kershaw wrote:

Claudio,

I'm currently using dual filtration from the ILFORD Multigrade data sheet, not from real-world testing. Figure 1 of the 'Contrast Control with Color Enlargers' chapter in 'Way Beyond Monochrome' gives 'Test settings' to make eleven prints from a projection step wedge as follows:

Test 1. Y 130, M 0
Test 2. Y 110, M 2
Test 3. Y 95, M 4
Test 4. Y 80, M 8
Test 5. Y 65, M 12
Test 6. Y 50, M 20
Test 7. Y 35, M 30
Test 8. Y 20, M 50
Test 9. Y 10, M 70
Test 10. Y 4, M 95
Test 11. Y 0, M 130

The prints from the step wedge are then assessed with either a densitometer or a reflective step wedge, and graphed to provide the data on contrast and exposure performance. In the case of 'Way Beyond Monchrome' the end point in filtration terms is then given for the test paper (Kodak Polymax), e.g. 'ISO Grade 2' is given as Y 59, M 15. So the multiplication factor I applied is for the starting point of testing e.g. Y 65*1.54 = 100.1, M 12*1.54 = 18.48.

Tom