[pure-silver] Re: Calibrating a colour enlarger to ISO paper grades wrt Way Beyond Monochrome

  • From: "mail1" <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:51:37 -0800

Tom, the manufacture's test equipment may be very different from what is in
your and my lab, it is important not to forget a lot of darkroom users have
little interest in the technical side, and the manufacture know this, so a
lot of the information is generalized to get the consumer "in the ball
park". This is a medium that allows both ways of working.
Besides testing papers, and developers I test each enlarger and light
source, or filter set in my darkroom. This information is of some importance
when matching the film and paper. I use this information to calculate
exposure and development times. I have notice differences in filter sets,
film, papers, and developers from different manufactures and differences
from lot to lot of same manufactures. The differences in cold cathode tubes
and incandescent bulb types, there age, temperature, and input voltage also
cause variations
I have found that it is possible for the darkroom worker with little
technical interest to get nearly all the same information with simplier
techniques.
I am fortunate to have densitometers that print out, or enter data into soft
ware that graph and analyze. I also use light meters and a PDA in the field
to calculate exposure and log information used in the darkroom, such as film
development time and negative cataloging.
Some days I don't do anything but take pictures allowing the camera internal
systems to do everything, and sometimes I use cameras that use the light
meter and exposure calculator in my head, or pocket. I develop for an
average Subject Brightness range based on the intensity of shadows, and most
of the time this works just fine.

Jonathan  [mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]