[pure-silver] Re: Calibrating a colour enlarger to ISO paper grades wrt Way Beyond Monochrome

  • From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:29:51 +0100

Yes. What are you hinting at?

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

This electronic message contains information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message immediately.

P don't print this e-mail unless you really have to

On Dec 11, 2009, at 15:39, Tom Kershaw wrote:

Ralph,

Have you seen my most recent post on this topic dated December 8th, with regard to inconsistencies in ILFORD documentation?

Tom

Ralph W. Lambrecht wrote:
Tom

Correct. Combining the Durst Y/M filtration values (0-130) achieves very practical contrast with Ilford, Kodak and Agfa papers. Typically, I can get around ISO grade 0 (130Y/0M) and around grade 5 with (0Y/130M). If would ignore any filtration values which gives you much softer or harder grades. You won't need them.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

This electronic message contains information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message immediately.

P don't print this e-mail unless you really have to

On Dec 08, 2009, at 12:37, Tom Kershaw wrote:

Ralph,

I've just got back to this topic, and will probably start performing the tests soon. Does your comment with regard to the DeVere 5108 yellow filtration levels suggest there is little or no practical application to using 200 units yellow, even if the ILFORD MGIV RC GLOSS paper can respond to such reduced contrast levels? I read your comment in the context of tone reproduction from a practical pictorial negative.

I intend to calibrate ILFORD MG and Adox MCC.

regards,

Tom

Ralph W. Lambrecht wrote:
Tom

Typical paper contrast ranges from grade 0 to grade 5. Calibrating an enlarger far outside this range has little practical application. Grade 0 and 5 are roughly equivalent to exposure ranges of 1.55 and 0.58, respectively (see page 62). Since you see differentiation across the entire step tablet, as in your scan, this suggests an exposure range of up to 3.0! This is far more than you ever need.

I suggest that you back off the yellow filtration until you get an exp range of no more than 1.8 and call that your new yellow limit.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

This electronic message contains information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message immediately.

P don't print this e-mail unless you really have to

On Nov 28, 2009, at 20:41, Tom Kershaw wrote:

Made a few inroads in the calibration process today, starting with fibre base but over to resin coated paper for experimental purposes: The book chapter suggests that the print made from the step wedge should show areas of solid black and white before any tone variation is apparent. My own print using maximum yellow clearly shows (at least in the print) clear tonal variation between wedges 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. However the white zone doesn't show differentiation between wedges 30 and 31. Increasing exposure (keeping in mind the DeVere is projecting a significant amount of light) makes the print look muddier, with bleeding around the text increasing. Perhaps this means maximum yellow on the DeVere produces a lower contrast than maximum yellow on a '130' unit Durst.

See scan:

http://www.tomkershaw.com/files/tp31_45_sw_2009_11_28.jpg

Tom

Ralph W. Lambrecht wrote:
Tom

Thanks for asking. The 2nd edition is done. It's going through English edit and indexing at the moment. Everything has to be at the printer before Christmas, but I don't know the actual publication date yet.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

This electronic message contains information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message immediately.

P don't print this e-mail unless you really have to

On Nov 27, 2009, at 20:51, Tom Kershaw wrote:

Ralph,

Thanks for explaining how you arrived at the figures. I don't possess a densitometer so would be making comparisons against the R2110 reflective wedge.

How is the second edition of the book coming along?

Regards,

Tom

Ralph W. Lambrecht wrote:
Tom

I picked eleven evenly distributed points across the filtration values to get the smoothest curve possible, but don't take that too seriously. Spread them out any way you like.

Nevertheless, here is what I did:

I made two series of prints from the lowest to the highest filter setting, one for magenta and one for yellow only. Then I determined the log exposure range for all test prints and got the curves in fig.1, ranging from 0.6 to 1.6 log exp range. I picked the filter values for every 0.1 log exp exp range increase, and that's how I got the eleven values, but these test input values have little influence on the test results. They just assure a smooth test curve.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

This electronic message contains information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message immediately.

P don't print this e-mail unless you really have to

On Nov 27, 2009, at 14:39, Tom Kershaw wrote:

Claudio,

I'm currently using dual filtration from the ILFORD Multigrade data sheet, not from real-world testing. Figure 1 of the 'Contrast Control with Color Enlargers' chapter in 'Way Beyond Monochrome' gives 'Test settings' to make eleven prints from a projection step wedge as follows:

Test 1. Y 130, M 0
Test 2. Y 110, M 2
Test 3. Y 95, M 4
Test 4. Y 80, M 8
Test 5. Y 65, M 12
Test 6. Y 50, M 20
Test 7. Y 35, M 30
Test 8. Y 20, M 50
Test 9. Y 10, M 70
Test 10. Y 4, M 95
Test 11. Y 0, M 130

The prints from the step wedge are then assessed with either a densitometer or a reflective step wedge, and graphed to provide the data on contrast and exposure performance. In the case of 'Way Beyond Monchrome' the end point in filtration terms is then given for the test paper (Kodak Polymax), e.g. 'ISO Grade 2' is given as Y 59, M 15. So the multiplication factor I applied is for the starting point of testing e.g. Y 65*1.54 = 100.1, M 12*1.54 = 18.48.

Tom