[pure-silver] Re: Building sink again

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:25:02 -0500

February 11, 2007, from Lloyd Erlick,

Sink on Wheels
(Sung to the tune of Born to be Wild)

Many years ago (the seventies ...) I scrounged a stainless steel sink from
the garbage. It had been in a photo processing place, and had been exposed
to some sort of color chemistry so it was pinholed at one or two places. I
found the pinholes (guess how?) and pushed epoxy into and over them as best
I could. Then I epoxy coated the whole interior of the sink with swimming
pool paint in the form of a two-part epoxy mix. It has never leaked since.
The sink measures 30x90x6 inches. A single person can lift it easily. I've
often thought I'd like it better at 8 inches depth, but I've never
considered paying money to get that. The top edge is folded out flat, so
it's possible to rest arms on it, but I don't seem to work that way. I
seldom find myself resting my arms. Maybe a bit higher sides would make
that more conducive.

What I have noticed is regarding a sign of abuse by former users ? the top
edge of the stainless is 'torn' right through for about an inch and a half,
as if a large force had been applied to the material, as I'm sure it had ?
which has not changed over all these years, not a hair's breadth. Stainless
steel can really take it. A twenty year old piece of adhesive tape covers
the torn metal, although it was never sharp. In the dark I've come to use
it for orientation.

The garbage had provided everything for me except the means to hold the
thing up at waist level. A plywood under-support with an appropriately
placed hole for the drain had come with, so I made a pair of angle-steel
boxes to go under it. The steel was that slotted stuff often called Dexion
(found in another garbage...). I put (scrap!) plywood on the bottom for
shelving/storage, and each base unit has four casters (heavy duty ones,
three or four inch, from a surplus shop ... actually paid for!) I made a
pair of three-foot bases so there would be no problems moving through
doorways or up stairs if future needs dictated. Also, eight casters under
the thing meant the weight would be well supported, even if it had to be
moved with weight inside.

The original drain (seventies vintage, now sadly long gone) was just a
bilge hose led over to the floor drain. It worked stalwartly for over
twenty years.  The real work there was to install a sub-floor drain in my
basement floor. I had to dig a hole (smelly due to cracks in the century
old ceramic pipe) and put in a tee fitting with a drain at floor level.
Plumbers deserve respect. I still have the sink; drainage is now by sump
pump to a kitchen sink.

A sink on wheels is quite a luxury, I've found. Different layouts for the
darkroom can be tried at whim, and cleaning under it is at least possible.

Places that sell or auction used restaurant equipment are good sources of
stainless steel sinks and counters and tables. They often sell surprisingly
cheaply. The prices of such goods at an auction depend on who is actually
there. Could easily be a bunch of worse cheapskates than any of us, namely
restaurant operators... (I once got a 40x108 inch stainless table for
nothing because no one wanted it - covered in hardened bread dough - and a
twofour of beer was all the guy with the truck wanted to transport it ...).

I actually enjoy stuff like this a lot more than computer gear adventures.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com