[pure-silver] Re: Biking and photography

  • From: "Kurt J. Griffin" <kjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:00:25 -0700

Title: [pure-silver] Re: Biking and photography

Some food for thought. Never mind crashing, just the ordinary vibration
of riding can be hell on equipment; in last weekend's Solvang Century,
I rode a lot of miles on fairly rough pavement, enough that it vibrated
my LED headlamp apart while I was doing around 35MPH on a descent. The
headlamp rotates and snaps into a housing pretty firmly, and yet the
vibration was enough to unsnap it. Of course, this was on an
unsuspended road-bike, but even a fully-suspended mountain bike
can get a lot of shock on rough dirt roads (never mind anything
technical).

I do all of my riding on a road bike, not necessarily on paved roads.  While the small digital has a lot to be said for it, sometimes, that's not what I want.  The trusty metal Voigtländer (similar to an Ikon) fits into the jersey, but I've been known to drag a bunch o' other equipment along.  I commute by bike, so I have a rack & a "grocery bag" pannier (or two).  Items therein bounce a bit, but it's a more gentle, lower frequency bounce than anything fastened firmly to the bars, seatpost, or rack.  I've found that rapping things loosely in a towel gives enough protection even from that.  I'm also a big fan of wide tires at lower pressures (and steel frames) to soften the vibrations from what pass for roads in S. AZ (or PG county, MD).

Ride safely,all,

--Kurt
============================================================================================================= To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.