[pure-silver] Re: Are most photographers visual learners... a little OT

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:29:06 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----

   I am away from home and my books at the moment.
   I think you are confounding two things here, one is the method of making dry
plates and the other was Eastman's first attempt at a flexible support for a
roll film camera.
   Eastman was coating on glass early on using glass covered tables to cast the
emulsion. The paper backing was used for the early flexible film before the
discovery of using cellulose nitrate base. The film was sent back to Kodak for
processing where the emulsion was stripped off the paper for printing.
    Eastman's first trip to England was to investigate the source for his
gelatin. In an oft repeated story Eastman found that his plates were lacking in
sensitivity and contrast. He traced this down to the gelatin and found, after
some investigation, the the source in England had switched their source for the
skins or bones they used to produce the gelatin. When they supplied gelatin
from the original source the emulsion again worked as expected. It was some
twenty or more years before the actual cause of the problem was discovered.
    Eastman also talked to C.E.K.Mees, I think on a later trip. Mees was a
partner in Wratten and Wainwright, a producer of very good dry plates and
photographic light filters. W&W had good knowledge of German dyes both for
sensitizing and for filtering. Mees agreed to go to work for Eastman provided
he bought out Mees's partners and allowed them to continue running the company.
Eastman did this and Mees set up Kodak's first research laboratory (in 1912).
Its quite possible that Eastman was interested in devising a process for
practical color photography as well as just  improving the quality of his
products. The knowledge of color sensitization that W&W had would have been
very useful in this way.
    Eastman had a number of patents on coating machinery. Do a name search for
him on Google Patents.