[pure-silver] Re: Anti-Silvering Agent

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 17:49:45 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jordan Wosnick" <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 5:28 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Anti-Silvering Agent

Chlororesorcinol probably smells -- a very "chemical"-like, somewhat phenolic smell. The parent (resorcinol) certainly smells and I'm pretty sure that bromoresorcinol smells too.

Anyone know if Microdol-X (the powder) smells?

Richard Knoppow wrote:
  Snipping here....

It does not nor does Perceptol. The other patents I posted suggest there may be another agent involved several are mentioned in this patent. Haist suggests somewhere that the agent may be a Mercaptan. It seems that there must be much of a secret about this because Ilford Perceptol appears to be identical to Microdol-X. I got interested in these developers because they are truly very fine grain and have good tonal rendition. I use 35mm T-Max 100 developed in full strength Perceptol and get negatives which begin to have the smooth tone rendition one expects to get with larger negatives. I shoot at EI-50 and develop pretty much according to the data sheet. I suggest this combination to those who miss Technical Pan. It is certainly not identical but has nearly the fineness of grain and very high resolution. It is also about four times the speed and is not at all fussy about contrast control.

---