[pure-silver] Re: "And now for something completely different" was Imapro QCR-120

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:21:50 -0400

DEAR CLAUDIO & ERIC,
        To quote Monty Python, "And now for something completely
different..."  I know this is not your question but it is a viable
alternative.  I have used, with Eric's guidance, a different method for
getting digital files printed on silver-gelatin paper.  My problem was a
great (2 1/4 'Blad neg) photo of some very dark skinned fellows shimmying up
a greased pole to grab the banner off the top at a local fish festival here
in Barbados.  Obviously I had to shoot up into the sky and, to make it more
fun, an aircraft passed above the pole exactly as the guys grabbed the
banner!  Of course I used a filter to darken the sky relative to the skin
tones but, when printing, I still had to do a lot of dodging on the skin
tones and burning in of the sky.  Though I have been printing for about 45
years I still make mistakes of over dodge and/or over burn so I throw away
enough prints to cost money and time.
        Solution?  I scanned my 2 1/4 neg, did all the adjustments in
Frotoshop where I could easily avoid/correct any over dodging/burning.  I
then printed a digital neg (to whatever size final print I want) using
Burkholder's silver-gelatin template with my Epson 3800 onto INKPRESS
transparency film.  I make contact prints under my enlarger using VC
(multigrade) paper and filters.  The results are stunning and I don't throw
away a single piece or paper any more when printing this image.  The
diginegs are stored for future use.  And I am still delivering beautifully
toned, archivally processed, silver gelatin prints.   Pure silver?  No.
More efficient use of time and resources with less impact on the
environment?  Yes.  And the results are lovely.  On, and did I mention that,
as long as I keep the contact printing frame clean, I spend NO time spotting
prints because it was all done in Frotoshop?
                CHEERS!
                        BOB