[pure-silver] Re: Ammonium Thiosulfate

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:08:27 -0400

At 10:55 AM 5/12/2007 , Richard wrote:
>     If  you use a non-acid fixing bath you must also use a
>plain water rinse rather than an acid stop bath. The rinse
>should really be a short wash (perhaps 1 or 2 minutes) to
>remove as much developer as quickly as possible.
>
>---
>Richard Knoppow
>Los Angeles, CA, USA
>dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>=====================

May 18, 2007, from Lloyd Erlick,

This is my method of processing all my film and FB prints. I no longer use
acid of any sort in my darkroom.

The easy way to perform the short wash after the developer is to fill the
tank or tray with plain tap water, agitate briefly, and dump. I'm a bit of
a loon, I use a quadruple fill and dump.

My main reason for giving up acid stop and acid fixer is that this is the
way to eliminate smells in the darkroom. Sodium sulfite, a common
ingredient in developers, in combination with acid, such as acetic acid,
releases sulfur dioxide. I know many people consider this trivial, and I
used to just let it pass. But now I'm an old loon, and I can't stand the
least whiff of ess ohh two. Hydrogen sulfide the same. One whiff and all
activity stops until it's dealt with, terminated with extreme prejudice.

If I decide to do some brown toning, with the good ol' polysulfide toner,
which reeks of sulfur dioxide, I've learned I have to do it outdoors. That
turns out to be a good thing, because it lets me see the result of the
toning in daylight. The one time I did it indoors I learned my lesson.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com