[pure-silver] Re: 3200 Concert Film

  • From: Jon Mided <photosource@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:53:17 +0000

If you aren't experienced with shooting under these conditions, then the likelihood is that your film is just underexposed. Many people produce very thin negs when they first shoot a concert, so there is no reason to suppose that your Xtol isn't working. If the edge numbers aren't visible, then the development is certainly the problem, but otherwise its just your light meter being fooled by the brighter areas on the stage.

I've shot extensively in all sorts of live venues and found TMax P3200 worked best with Acuspeed (sadly no longer available) and TMax Developer. I would definitely use TMax Dev instead of Xtol for this type of situation. You will find times in The Massive Dev Chart, but around 10 minutes is a good starting point depending on the light levels. Using a developer which restrains highlight development while allowing the shadows to continue building is more important than anything else.
Digitaltruth Photo
http://www.digitaltruth.com