Re: [pure-lang] Re: googlegroups still fails email delivery

  • From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:23:53 +0200

# google-2010@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx / 2013-08-27 05:27:05 -0500:
> On Aug 27, 2013, at 05:16, Albert Graef wrote:
> > Of course, now whenever someone posts to the google group it will get
> > forwarded to and bounce unless they subscribe there as
> > well. And ppl subscribed to both lists will presumably get the same
> > post twice, unless they turn off email delivery for their GG
> > subscription.
> >
> > This is a mess. :( Any suggestions?
> Yes: use one list only.

that's sound advice.

> I'm happy with Google Groups. I get the mailing list interface I like;
> others get a web-based interface they like.

i don't care for the web-based interface (that's a meek way to put it),
and the mailing list interface is unreliable.  in fact, two-three years
ago i said here something like "some messages never arrive through
email, some never show up in the web interface even though i got the
email *from the list*".

BTW, does anyone here actually prefer the web ui?
> If some users experience issues with Google Groups, those users should
> work with Google to resolve those issues.

if i were to reply in the same vein, it would be "configure your mail
client to actually reply to the real list".

> Surely that's in everyone's best interest.

that's how it should be in the ideal world.  however, google has made
themselves a name by ignoring bug reports for their "free" services,
to the point that my first thought reading the above was "that's a good
one!"  wasting money chasing intermittent failures in their massive
infrastructure to placate a few affected users?  i won't be holding my

> I really hesitate to suggest this, but I understand that Google Groups
> can mirror other lists. Therefore, you could move the list entirely to
> freelists, then reconfigure the Google Group to mirror it. However,
> one list I'm on, the Subversion Users list, has this setup, and it is
> not optimal: what happens is that when someone posts to the Google
> Groups mirror of the group, the message gets to me on the main list,
> but when I reply, the reply goes to the Google group, to which I'm not
> subscribed, so my reply does not get posted. Assuming I realize this
> has happened, I then have to re-send my message to the correct
> address.

at least the success/failure of the delivery is in your hands.
the problems which initiated this discussion and effort are outside
our control, and we have no steadfast confirmation of successful
delivery outside of an outright reply.

i agree that the compromise solutions are problematic.

how about something like this?

* announce that the list will move in the GG.
* wait 6 weeks
* initiate the subscription process for all current GG subscribers
  so they can just confirm or ignore
* make the GG a read-only mirror with instructions in the web ui
  pointing people towards the real ML

active posters would subscribe to the new ML and unsub from the GG.
passive readers and people with abandoned subscriptions could do
nothing, the GG would keep working for their use cases.

"pure-lang" group.
to pure-lang+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Visit this group at
For more options, visit