[pure-lang] Re: bitbucket.org: pull requests, named branches, bookmarks

  • From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 14:44:38 +0200

# aggraef@xxxxxxxxx / 2013-08-25 18:34:27 +0200:
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > i had to create a named branch for each PR, and that is wrong[1][2].
> > is this really the expected workflow, or should it work with bookmarks?
> >
> > how do you work with bitbucket.org?  i'll appreciate any advice.
> Well, I just fork the repo, clone the forked repo, commit my
> changesets to the master branch in my clone, push, then create a pull
> request for them.

just to be clear: a new fork on bitbucket for each pull request?
that looks like quite some overhead.

> In the Pure repo we try to keep things to the master branch anyway.

yep, and i'm not looking to change that.  i'd just like to have
non-anonymous heads in my fork, no matter what branch.
> Things become more complicated, of course, if you want to create
> several pull requests all based on the same revision in the original
> repo. Never tried that before, will have to test that.

yeah, that's what i did at first (with bookmarks), and the PR webui
got confused.  it does not work.
> I always try to keep things as simple as possible. So, for the time
> being, if you have several independent changesets, just commit them to
> the master branch one by one and then create a pull request for them
> all.

that's a definition of "simple" i don't subscribe to...

> I can always sort them out myself and merge them manually if
> necessary.

... because of this.  ;)

> For a few trivial changesets like in your case that's
> really not a big deal. But I will look into better workflows for more
> complicated situations.

i've slept on this a bit, and so far the conclusion is to ditch the
web PR facility:

* the discussion going on in the PR is hidden from the mailing list
* the comment form mutilates text (-D__FOO -D__BAR becomes
  -D<b>FOO -D</b>BAR)
* it strains emails: "--- you can reply above this line ---"???
  seriously???  well i tried and it ate my email anyway, probably
  because that line became "> --- you can reply above this line ---"?

with the next pull request i'm going to try this:

* work with bookmarks in the default branch
* push bookmarks to BB
* send an email to the mailing list(s) describing the "vine" and how
  to pull it from my fork

you should have zero problems pulling just one of my heads on default,
and i should sleep better knowing that i use mercurial in a way
endorsed by its authors.