[pure-lang] Re: ANN: Pure 0.60

  • From: Albert Graef <aggraef@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 00:53:06 +0200

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> yes, you can cover pretty much the full spectrum of mainstream distros
> with the OBS.

Cool! Could you please give me a quick heads up when you got your packages
up and running, so that we can update the wiki page at
https://bitbucket.org/purelang/pure-lang/wiki/ArchPackaging accordingly?

> that's what i arrived at. :)  but the comment in the Makefile says
> something like "link with avahi on Linux", which is why i asked in
> the first place.

Well, quite likely the Makefile still reflects the partial state of
knowledge/confusion about Zeroconf I was in when I wrote it. :) Clarity
isn't exactly a hallmark feature of the Avahi documentation (or Zeroconf in
general) either...

i guess that's all more trouble than it's worth, i'll just skip
> packaging pure-bonjour.

Yeah, that's what I did for Arch, too.  I only use pure-bonjour on the Mac.
The original Bonjour API is a royal pita (especially the 3-stage
asynchronous protocol you have to go through before you finally know the
real IP of a service; whoever designed that lovely bit should really go
work for Microsoft instead of Apple). So I would have gone with pure-avahi
on the Mac as well (avahi is in MacPorts). But I couldn't get the avahi
daemon to work on the Mac, so I did pure-bonjour instead.

Maybe I should have reconciled the two into a single pure-zeroconf module
which simply uses the native Zeroconf implementation on each system. But
it's still conceivable that someone might want to use *both* Avahi and
Bonjour on the same system. So they are two separate modules for now, and
zeroconf.pure is provided for those like myself who need cross-platform
compatibility.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany