[pure-lang] Re: ANN: Pure 0.60

  • From: Albert Graef <aggraef@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 19:46:09 +0200

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> openSUSE packages are up-to-date, and there's more of them; remaining
> to do are pd-faust, pd-pure, faust2pd and pure-tk-examples.  i started
> (and dropped) the pd-related things earlier, need to revisit them now
> that you made it easier and i won't have to struggle with the unorthodox
> distributions of pd. ;)
> https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:roman-neuhauser:pure

Thanks, that's good news indeed. You made a lot of progress there.

> Arch/Manjaro pkgbuilds and packages should be up some time later
> > today
> i've started using ArchLinux on my laptop so this area is now on my
> radar.  osc(1), the commandline client for the Build Service[1] works
> in ArchLinux well enough to build openSUSE and ArchLinux packages.
> osc is in AUR *and* the OBS (openSUSE Build Service)[2].
> my plan is to have OBS build also ArchLinux packages for all the things
> (OBS can also build Debian and Ubuntu packages if anyone's interested).
> [1] https://build.opensuse.org/
> [2]
> http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=openSUSE%3ATools&package=osc

Excellent news! So does that mean that I will be able to stop rolling my
own binary Arch packages at some point in the future? Are the OBS Arch
package repos in pacman format?

>  should pure-bonjour build and work in Linux?  a comment in the Makefile
> implies so, but the build failed for me.  i have zero knowledge of
> Zeroconf so sorry if i'm talking out of my rear end.

It doesn't compile with Avahi's Bonjour emulation (which lacks some API
functions), but presumably it should work with Bonjour on Linux (which is
available from Apple). But as Avahi comes preinstalled on Linux, I didn't
test Bonjour there yet. Anyway, the idea is that pure-avahi and
pure-bonjour are drop-in replacements for each other, so you can just use
the former on Linux and the latter on the Mac. There's also a compatibility
module (zeroconf.pure) in the sources which will work transparently with
both pure-avahi and pure-bonjour, so that it's possible to write
cross-platform code in Pure using whatever Zeroconf implementation is
available. (Unfortunately, zeroconf.pure isn't installed with `make
install` right now, so you might want to include that manually in your OBS
pure-avahi package.)

> while i'm here, pure-balls has been bugging me about pure-lv2 tarballs.
> this particular module is published as tar.bz2, an isolated deviation
> from the standard (within pure-*) tar.gz.  i could/should add support
> for different compression formats, but in this specific case the
> deviation seem silly to me:

It is. :) Don't know why I did it that way in this specific case, must have
been a brain fart on my side.

> pull request: https://bitbucket.org/purelang/pure-lang/pull-request/11

Merged, thanks. I also uploaded a new pure-lv2-0.1.tar.gz tarball to the
downloads section, you can find that here:
(The bz2 tarball will also remain available, in order to not break any
existing packages and ports.)

Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  aggraef@xxxxxxxxx
WWW:    https://plus.google.com/+AlbertGraef