[pure-lang] ANN: Pure 0.60

  • From: Albert Graef <aggraef@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:47:38 +0100

I've been cooking this new release for a while now, but I finally
decided that it tasted well enough, so without any further ado: Pure
0.60 is done and served, go grab it while its hot! :)

This is a maintenance release which sports some minor fixes for better
OS X compatibility and some improvements and bugfixes in the runtime
to better cope with applications running multiple instances of the

Along with the Pure release go new releases of almost all addon
modules, for better OS X compatibility. I won't list them all here,
but you can find them at the top of the download list at
https://bitbucket.org/purelang/pure-lang/downloads, just below the
pure and pure-docs tarballs. (While I was at it, I also updated most
of the module Makefiles so that they now use the new pkgconfig-based
build system. Moreover, the Pd-related packages can now be built
without actually having Pd installed, which makes things easier on the

Arch/Manjaro pkgbuilds and packages should be up some time later
today, and MacPorts will hopefully be updated soon as well. (I'm still
learning MacPorts, so it'll be a while until there are ports for all
the packages which are still missing right now. But Ryan already
offered to help me understand the ports system, so this should
hopefully be done some time this week.)

Linux users don't necessarily have to upgrade their addons if they're
happy with them, but Mac users will surely want to get their hands on
these updates. ;-) Each and every addon package should build cleanly
and work on the Mac now (tested them all on Mavericks). So Mac users
can at long last enjoy the full Pure experience. For the time being
(i.e., until all the good new stuff has landed in MacPorts), I also
offer some binary packages, mostly for Pd-on-Mac users who are not
keen on compiling them on their own. You can find these on the "Pure
on Mac OS X" wiki page (link below) which also lists some known
remaining issues with the Mac port (mostly related to 3rd party

A couple of new modules are also available (note that pure-lv2 really
needs the latest Pure release, the others should also work with 0.59):

- pure-avahi and pure-bonjour give access to Zeroconf networking on
Linux (using Avahi) and Mac (using, you guessed it, Bonjour). There's
also a compatibility module zeroconf.pure which will work on both
Linux and Mac, no matter what the underlying Zeroconf implementation
is. I already put this to good use in the Pd TouchOSC MIDI bridge
external (pd-touchosc) I wrote for this year's Linux Audio Conference.

- pure-lilv lets you write LV2 plugin hosts which run LV2 plugins in
Pure, and, conversely, pure-lv2 lets you write LV2 plugins in Pure.
These aim at programmers working with multimedia software such as
Ardour and Pd in conjunction with LV2, the new Linux audio and MIDI
plugin standard. Using pure-lilv, I also implemented lv2plugin~, an
LV2 plugin host for Pd, something which has been sorely missing until
now. Yes, you can run LV2 plugins in Pd now, you can even write your
own LV2 plugins in Pure, and it all works on the Mac, too! :)

Ok, I guess that this should be enough to whet your appetite for
now... All the good new stuff is available from the usual places. I
also set up a kind of personal "homepage" on Bitbucket where you can
find pointers to all the items I mentioned above:

And Mac users should definitely check out the new "Pure on Mac OS X" wiki page:

Enjoy! :)

Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  aggraef@xxxxxxxxx
WWW:    https://plus.google.com/+AlbertGraef