RE: is there anything a PTR1 can do not available on PTR2

  • From: "Cuthbertson, Jamie" <Jamie.Cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:40:07 +0100

Daveed,

No, in the Audio Export process, the only thing that dictates the audio
file separation is the position of the headings (i.e. each section
generates one audio file).  The page and group markers will have no
bearing on how the audio files are created.

The page and group markers will still be retained in the resulting DAISY
title but these are only of use when played in a DAISY player.

Regarding the PRS Pro, I'm not sure where you can get the software from
- I don't think that RNIB (for UK folk) sell it so I ccan only presume
that you might have to go direct to Plextor.  I'm quite happy to be
proven wrong though.

Having said that, there's not a lot that the PRS Pro does that the PRS
doesn't do.  If I remember correctly, the main difference is to do with
a feature which assists in the process of downloading DAISY recordings
to audio cassette.  Basically the system will take a recording and
firstly split it into appropriate chunks for the size of audio cassette
that is being used and then, if requested, it will automatically add a
synthesized announcement at the start and end of each side e.g. "Tape 1
Side A" and "End of Side A" and so on.

If you work with cassettes then it might be a useful extra to have but
if not, I think you'll find that the bog standard PRS does all that you
need.  There may be other smaller differences but I can't remember what
they are.

Regards,

Jamie