RE: is there anything a PTR1 can do not available on PTR2

  • From: "Cuthbertson, Jamie" <Jamie.Cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:17:24 +0100

Linda,

You can read more about the PTR2 at the following website:

http://www.plextalk.com/in/ptr2_top.html

In terms of the fast forward and rewind, I don't think that the speeds
are different but I have noticed that you sometimes need to press the
key more than once before it starts to respond.

I have also pasted below a section from the PTR2 manual that lists the
main differences between the PTR1 and the PTR2:

"5.3.  Main differences between the PTR1 and PTR2.

Below are listed the main differences between the PLEXTALK PTR1 and the
PTR2.  This is not an exhaustive list but should give the PTR1 user a
good idea of how the two recorders differ.

*       The PTR2 now has a separate menu key, Separate volume up and
down keys and a  relocated eject key.
*       The new PLEXTALK has a modified body shape in durable plastic.
*       The recording level, speed and tone control switches have been
moved to the right side of the unit
*       The power switch has been moved to the right side of the unit
and can now be locked with the use of the key lock/key describer switch.
*       The card slot has been moved to the front of the unit under the
CD drive and is now a CF card slot rather than a PCMCIA slot.  A CF card
is provided with the unit.

*       The microphone socket is now stereo rather than mono.
*       Automatic gain control (AGC) is now available, if selected, for
use with the external microphone and the Line in options as well as the
built in microphone.
*       The USB interface with a computer can now be used to directly
access the CD drive or the CF card.
*       The forward and rewind keys can now be used to either skip
forward or back by phrases or by 5 second jumps according to the
selection made in the menu by the user.
*       Groups can now be navigated independently or along with all
other structure, according to the selection made in the menu by the
user.
*       In Normal mode, after the DAISY book plays to the end, the next
press of the Play key will start the book at the beginning again.
*       The PTR2 has 2 modes of operation.  These are Normal mode and
Book Creator mode.  Normal mode provides a simplified method of
producing a DAISY recording.  Book Creator mode gives the user access to
more advanced editing functions.
*       In Normal mode, new recordings can only be appended to the end
of the existing recording - no option for insert, punch-in or overwrite
is provided.
*       In Normal mode, editing options are much simpler with phrase
editing removed.
*       Heading and page markers can now be positioned using 0.1 second
adjustments rather than 'attaching' them to specific phrases."

 Hope this helps.

Jamie