Re: Wireless mics and feedback

  • From: "David B Andrews" <David.B.Andrews@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:43:13 -0500

It is possible that the different acoustics in the two rooms made a
difference.  The church most likely had wooden pews in it etc., and
was more live which could have caused problems.

Dave

David Andrews
Chief Technology Officer
Minnesota State Services for the Blind
2200 University Ave. W., #240
St. Paul, MN  55114-1840
(651) 642-0513  Office
(612) 730-7931  Cell
(651) 649-5927  Fax

>>> kerscher@xxxxxxxxxxx 9/17/2006 6:17 PM >>>
Dear All,

I was asked to help at a wedding by providing the audio system for
the
ceremony. I was also going to record it. It didn't go as planned. I
thought
that somebody here could explain what went wrong.

-- I have a pair of Boaz dual range portable speakers. In the high
range
they are very loud, loud enough for the hall. Not the problem, I
think.

-- I plug the speakers into my laptop headphone jack, plug in a
wired mic,
and go into accessories/entertainment/volume control, select the
options to
show both playback and recording. I then unmute the microphone.

-- OK, standing 2 meters behind the speakers, all worked well.

-- I purchased a Radio Shack wireless mic and it came with a
wireless
receiver and antenna. It was $50 US. I tested this at home and here
too all
seemed well. It seemed that the squelch on the receiver did not do
much. I
could only have the volume on the receiver fairly low before the
feedback
started to scream, but even with low volume on the wireless
receiver the
speakers put out plenty of sound, even outside; standing  outside
25 meters
away, the sound was fine.

-- When I went to the hall to set up, all went to Hades. I had the
speakers
set upabout 3 meters in front of the wireless mic. I tried all
combinations
of volumes in volume  control for both the loudness and the
microphone
levels. Working on the receiver with the squelch still did not do
much and I
had to keep the volume on the wireless receiver very low, too low
to provide
much sound out of the speakers. So, I don't know what happened
between the
testing at home and at the hall.

Thoughts welcome; perhaps this is wireless mic basics.

Best
George

George Kerscher, Senior