RE: Requesting any advice

  • From: "Jamie Cuthbertson" <jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:09:56 +0100

Hi John,

As far as I know, the answers are as follows:

1.  No, an external drive cannot be used with the PTR1 in the same way as
the PTP1 or PTX1 can be connected to USB devices such as memory sticks or
external USB CD drives.  If you connect a PTR1 or a PTR2 to another source
such as a PC they will both become dumb terminals themselves.  As far as I
can remember, even if you have a PCMCIA adaptor and card the PTR1 will only
be able to "show" its CD drive to the other source directly whereas the PTR2
will allow you to specify whether the CD drive or the compact flash card
will be visible to the other source device.

2.  Whilst I have no way of being sure of this, as I don't have a PTR1 to
check it with, I believe that it works in much the same way as it does when
you connect a PTR2.  In essence, this involves using the USB adaptor cable
provided with the PTP1 and then connecting in a standard USB cable from the
PTR1/PTR2 to the end of the adaptor cable.
When the PTR1/PTR2 is turned on, the PTP1 will recognise the drive and the
PTR1/PTR2 will then behave as a dumb drive at this point.
Browse the contents on the CD (or compact flash card in the case of the
PTR2) and select the title you want to backup.
Press the Number 9 key on the PTP1 and it will ask if you wish to backup the
item.
If Yes, press the Play/Stop key, if No, press the UP ARROW as the Cancel
key.
It is always best to connect the PTP1 and PTR1/PTR2 to the mains before
starting this process to avoid possible corruption.
Note 1:  The backup can only be made to an SD card and not to the internal
memory.
Note 2:  There are a number of restrictions on the backup process and these
are detailed in the User Manual which should be able to be downloaded from
the Plextalk website at:  www.plextalk.com/in/download.html

Hope this helps and I hope it is accurate too! (Smile)

Jamie