RE: RE: Recording Volume and Power Off

  • From: Peter Bosher <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:19:45 +0100

Hi,

Forgive me if this is obvious, but I am surprised and puzzzled by your problem, so just thought I'd check one thing: you do realise that when you record from an external mic, you need to change one of the recording options, so press menu, right-arrow to Recording settings. press enter, then right-arrow to "Select external audio input jack", press enter, then change between Microphone and line input mode.

This wasn't needed on the PTR1, so just thought I'd make sure you know. If that isn't the solution, then I'm pretty sure you do have a faulty unit, as the input gain for external mics is definitely adequate, even for low-level mics, and it is probably not firmware related.

Please do let us know the outcome.

Best,

Peter

At 06:04 AM 10/19/2010, you wrote:
Thank you to those of you that gave me advice.much appreciated.

After trying everything possible to alter the volume on my machine, I
decided to take it to the technicians at the RNIB and compare it to one of
their own PT Pocket machines.  They agreed that the volume on my machine was
low, so they offered to install the latest firmware onto my machine.  The
following happened after the installation:

1.  The overall volume had undergone some sort of transformation and had
slightly improved.

2.  The option to adjust the guide volume in the main menu had completely
disappeared!

3.  The guide voice became slightly distorted.

4.  Recordings made with an external microphone were still exceptionally
poor.

Although I feel that there could be some major improvements in regard to
recording levels and volume output, I really do like the accessibility and
functions of the machine.

Let's hope that future firmware updates address these issues.

Thanks again.