Re: Just wondering.

  • From: Michael Lang <michael.lang@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Phil Parr <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:11:18 +0100

Hi Phil,

In the PTR2 manual is a paragraph, which describes the differences. Here
it comes:

5.3.  Main differences between the PTR1 and PTR2.

Below are listed the main differences between the PLEXTALK PTR1 and the PTR2.
This is not an exhaustive list but should give the PTR1 user a good idea of how
the two recorders differ.

* The PTR2 now has a separate menu key, Separate volume up and down keys
and a relocated eject key.

* The new PLEXTALK has a modified body shape in durable plastic.

* The recording level, speed and tone control switches have been moved
to the right side of the unit

* The power switch has been moved to the right side of the unit and can
now be locked with the use of the key lock/key describer switch.

* The card slot has been moved to the front of the unit under the CD
drive and is now a CF card slot rather than a PCMCIA slot. A CF card is
provided with the unit.

* The microphone socket is now stereo rather than mono.

* Automatic gain control (AGC) is now available, if selected, for use
with the external microphone and the Line in options as well as the
built in microphone.

* The USB interface with a computer can now be used to directly access
the CD drive or the CF card.

* The forward and rewind keys can now be used to either skip forward or
back by phrases or by 5 second jumps according to the selection made in
the menu by the user.

* Groups can now be navigated independently or along with all other
structure, according to the selection made in the menu by the user.

* In Normal mode, after the DAISY book plays to the end, the next press
of the Play key will start the book at the beginning again.

* The PTR2 has 2 modes of operation. These are Normal mode and Book
Creator mode. Normal mode provides a simplified method of producing a
DAISY recording. Book Creator mode gives the user access to more
advanced editing functions.

* In Normal mode, new recordings can only be appended to the end of the
existing recording - no option for insert, punch-in or overwrite is
provided.

* In Normal mode, editing options are much simpler with phrase editing
removed.

* Heading and page markers can now be positioned using 0.1 second
adjustments rather than 'attaching' them to specific phrases.

   <*** Michael Lang ***>