[pskmail] Re: win32 perl and gtk ?

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:00:11 +0100

 Hi Per,

> Have you ever tried running the client under win32 perl&gtk binaries?
> I mean these: http://www.lostmind.de/gtk2-perl/
>
> I felt like tormenting myself a bit today and rebooted into windows.

>, have you tried this?

I am preparing a window$2k laptop and the new Elecraft K3 for our M/M
 Madeira operation in the CQWW-CW (CS95A before, CT9L during the contest)
at the moment. It must run N1MM and Wifi, and do all the keying and rig control
stuff.
I am now at reboot nr. 25, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
You have to go through these sacrifices if you had to stand the shame of
being only 2nd place last year....

No I have not tried running pskmail on active perl , but I will try it as soon
as I have some time.
I guess this is what the intermar people are using... Now that we have puppy
4.1 it has become
very easy to run form the live CD on a window$ machine, as the original script
can be updated to the most actual one.

I am now experimenting with a new version of the client which is tuned for
asymmetrical data flow, i.e. lots of download, small uploads...
As I explained during our meeting in Zweibruecken, in this case only the server
sends polls, the client only sends status messages. So after the connect packet
the initiative is only with the server, the client only reacts.
This takes a lot of overhead away from the protocol.
For TTY (keyboard-to-keyboard) operation nothing will change, but that is not
the main mode anyway....

I will put the new image into the alpha directory on hermes, it is called
pskmail-1.0.3f and works
only with fldigi  3.04xx (which is also alpha...).