[pskmail] Re: vhf/uhf relays

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:29:50 +0200

2010-06-29 08:40, pskmail@xxxxxxxxx skrev:
On 29/Jun/2010 01:49 John Douyere<vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote ..
Hi Brett,

Pskmail works well over VHF/UHF over FM and I tested this myself.

I just don't know of a permanent server on V/UHF FM but there are no
reasons not to have one.

A point I noted in my tests: as described in QST a year or so ago, the
FSK modes (THOR8 and 22, MFSK16 and 32 as used in Pskmail) provide a
surprising sensitivity in FM, close to the sensitivity under ssb.

This means that exact frequency alignment is not necessary (which can
be a problem in ssb on VHF and especially in UHF) and this should
allow Pskmail traffic to go through repeaters quite well too.

Hope this helps,

73, John
Greeting-

Well then since I have an abundance of 2 meter FM equipment and I can only use
one 2 Meter HT at a time I think between job interviews and other things I have
to get done around the house I will dig out one of my older FM rigs, maybe my
OLD Drake TR-22C and set up New York City's first VHF pskmail server.  Of course
who am I kidding.......with the way life tends to go it may take more than this
week.

I also have several older laptops around....mostly with older versions of
FreeBSD installed.  I wonder if anyone has any real world experience on what the
minimal pskmail server needs?  I note that fldigi needs X11, which is
unfortunate as in server service running an X application is pretty much a waste
of CPU cycles.

I was looking at trying to set up a server on something in the Pentium II 100Mhz
range, just because I have several laptops of that era just gathering dust.
They all have sound and the sound works fine for playing/recording ogg audio
files.

73

-Brett
wa3yre

Hi Brett,

I have had the server running on a 500 MHz laptop, that was a while ago and I think fldigi has "matured" since then and requires a bit more muscle. At the moment I am using a 1.4 GHz P4 and fldigi uses abt 10-20% cpu. P2 100 MHz sounds somewhat difficult.

Regarding X you can solve that by using xvfb.

To start fldigi under Xvfb do the following in a terminal:
Xvfb -ac :99
fldigi -display :99&

I use screen as display manager and run the server in another "window".