[pskmail] Re: pskmail.org server is down

  • From: Rein Couperus PA0R <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:38:13 +0200

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 22:12 +0200, Per Crusefalk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, the servers still work so its not a critical issue really.
> How about if we have the servers wget a copy of the central database
> at regular intervals? That would create a lot of backups and also
> lighten the
> load on the central server (no need to query when the user is known in
> the

At the moment the server does a wget to the database record when there
is no local record on connect, and caches is for 24 hours.

I could simply extend the cache, but then you would be unable to change
the data, unless you make a local copy of the central database every
day. Another negative effect would be a lot of copies of the data... I
am not sure if that is a good idea.

Another idea is to send the data record over the air (encrypted) on
first connect and keep it in the data base until it is erased or
changed. We could also do this + use a cache of 7 days or so, meaning
the record has to be refreshed every 7 days...

Rein PA0R