[pskmail] problem running client or server integrated-modem vers 2

  • From: Bob Morgan <wb5aoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:14:50 -0500

I have both a desktop and a laptop running ubuntu 12.04 lts, and are similar.
The desktop is at work and probably will never have a radio connected to it,
but I can bring up either the client or server jpskmail version 2 with the
integrated modem (no fldigi), and it appears to find the soundcard and make psk
audio.

The laptop will almost certainly be used to run jpskmail mobile, but a similar
installation
of both the client and the server on it doesn't run either one, they exit with
a few error messages upon startup, and no windows ever hit the screen.
Eventually I want to get a desktop running a server on the radio at home too.

Sound "works" on both machines.  I doubt that the audio drivers are alike
between
the systems.  The mixer choices on the jpskmail screens on the desktop seem
to revolve around pulseaudio.  I am not sure about what audio system exists
on the laptop, I -think- it is alsa but I am not sure, and since the jpskmail
windows never hit the screen, I can't see what it thinks is there.
I don't work with java enough to know how to track down problems with it,
I just pasted some errors from it when I ran it into the email here.

I am also not sure what the integrated modem jpskmail needs to actually have
for an audio configuration, that seems unclear from the installation notes.

I have been following jpskmail for quite some time, and have never managed to
get fldigi and jpskmail to exist concurrently on any stuff I have tried, either
debian or ubuntu, so I held off until the integrated modem stuff came along
recently when I decided to try again over the weekend.  I sure want to see it
work.

Anyway, here is what I see when running things from the commandline.  First
the laptop, which never comes up, either client or server:
(If I try from just the screen icon, nothing happens at all.)

Attempt to run the integrated modem server pskmail_server-2.0.20:

batman@batman:~/Downloads/pskmail/jpskmail$ java -jar V2Modem.jar
INITIALIZED
InputMixerNotFound
OutputMixerNotFound
Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException
          at
java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)
          at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:535)
          at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)
          at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:385)
          at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:174)
          at v2modem.ModemUI.<init>(ModemUI.java:72)
          at v2modem.Main.main(Main.java:159)
batman@batman:~/Downloads/pskmail/jpskmail$ java -version

for java version:

java -version
java version "1.7.0_21"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-0ubuntu0.12.04.1)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
batman@batman:~/Downloads/pskmail/jpskmail$

Attempt to run the jpskmail client (from a commandline to see errors):

batman@batman:~/jpskmail$ java -jar javapskmail.jar
configuration.xml
jPSKmail ends here...
Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException
          at
java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)
          at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:535)
          at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)
          at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:385)
          at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:174)
          at javapskmail.mainpskmailui.<init>(mainpskmailui.java:167)
          at javapskmail.Main.main(Main.java:381)
batman@batman:~/jpskmail$

Comparison with the desktop when running either client or server from
commandline (they "work"):

randy@patrick:~/jpskmail$ java -jar javapskmail.jar
configuration.xml
   --- the application hits the screen, and produces psk audio for CQ button ---
   --- the closebutton on the window returns to the prompt ---

randy@patrick:~/jpskmail$ cd ..
randy@patrick:~$ cd Downloads/jpskmail/
randy@patrick:~/Downloads/jpskmail$ java -jar V2Modem.jar
INITIALIZED
InputMixerNotFound
OutputMixerNotFound
   --- the application hits the screen.  I didn't see a quick way to generate
audio ---
   --- the closebutton on the window returns to the prompt ---

randy@patrick:~/Downloads/jpskmail$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_21"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-0ubuntu0.12.04.1)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
randy@patrick:~/Downloads/jpskmail$

The other observation I can make is that when I went to install jpskmail onto
the laptop, I discovered that both java vers 1.6 and 1.7 were already installed
alongside
each other on the laptop, and vers 1.6 was what kept displaying on the version
query.
The ubuntu installer couldn't seen to successfully deinstall vers 1.6 or
reinstall
vers 1.7, so I manually removed the runfiles I could find for 1.6 and try
reinstalling
java 1.7 as best I could.  I don't know if it was entirely successful or not,
I am suspicious of it.  I did try to install the rxtx library on both.

I hope someone can figure out what I am missing,  We have some local fanatics
for
winlink that I would love to show how pskmail works, but I haven't got
there with pskmail yet, and I can't stand windows.

73 de Bob WB5AOH
Austin, TX