[pskmail] Re: port address Linux

  • From: Howard Brown <k5hb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 10:42:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi John,

I am not aware of a graphical tool to do this, although it may exist.

Open a shell (terminal) window and try a couple of commands:

ls -l /dev/ttyS*

This will list the serial ports that linux has defined. It will also be useful
in permissions questions.

For each port listed, try the command:

echo hellohello > /dev/ttyS0

but modify the zero for each numbered port.  BTW the first port (/dev/ttyS0) is
like com1 in Windows.

The responses tell you a lot... if the port is there and working you will see
no error, it will send the hellohello to the port.  If the port does not exist
you should see a message about an i/o error.  If you do not have permission to
use the port you should see a message that you do not have permission to write
to the port.

Let us know what you find.

Howard K5HB

PS: in case you are not familiar with it there is a great package manager tool
called Synaptic under the System - Administration menu.  This would get you a
much improved fldigi.