[pskmail] Re: modes for emergency comms

  • From: karel fassotte <karel.fassotte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 10:03:34 -0500

 Ralph ZL1TBG,
Responding quickly and short to you.
I will put the text under the text you wrote. I have some questions I will put here.
We are still developing RFSM.

You may have access to our FTP services via RFSM
your logon on internet is RALPH
passw: RALPH

I put your call also in RFSM to access the same files as via internet.
Put your callsign in RFSM call, connect on 14236USB I am right on the frequency.

When did you start using RFSM?
Which version are you using? From where did you download the files?
Are you ready to connect to our FTP server? I will put you in the user list.

At 05:43 a.m. 05/05/2007, you wrote:
Karel,

From my ZL perspective, there are areas where the govt agencies use their comms for the main job and get amateurs to fill in the trivial roles, also there are areas where the only organised and capable comms is the amateur systems on VHF and HF. The voluntary role we used to provide in essential comms for car rallies (WRC) has largely been replaced by commercial R/T , cellular and Inmarsat services and the amateur teams downgraded to providing backup traffic. I helped in these areas for 5 yrs and was AREC section leader for another 5.

There is no priority need for internet - but heavy use of message forms - printable text records.

Ok I understand.

To fill this need I have found RFSM2400 near perfect: field tests with 5 watts NVIS have connected every time and data got thru without fuss. The fact that pdf files can be sent interests me in the case of getting a search map or fax type document out to a field search party.

OK

I have not had enough experience understanding the functions FTP and mailbox yet as its new to all the operators I'm testing with and i may need to learn to write some scripts to get a few functions to operate automatically. One thing I have tested is I run the server as autostartup and it sets up and runs on power up. This is important because the unattended server needs to survive power interruptions etc.

Well install a FTP server and share the directories!

My personal use desire was to have remote internet / email connectivity, for a friend with an RV, and this is what Pskmail is for. I have tested this also, starting with the GMFSK and lately fldigi modes.

Unfortunately, my ADSL connection does not enable me to connect to my ISP for email, so that part never works, and I have been unable to get a truly stable program running that could be easily operated by anybody and survive a power down restart. Tha actual PSK125 connections worked fine at 5 watts NVIS.

Do you have access to Internet via your ASDL? You can browse the Ingernet? If yes, please ask the guys of PSKmail how to connect the server.

At this time I'm using RFSM2400 for the emergency comms projects, hoping to extend that role to include the needs of the nomadic traveller, and my microlight aircraft comms. If you have got familiar with how to deposit and fetch the files on a PC via the internet (maybe by using PC remote access?) I'd appreciate your help.

No thats exactly what we are looking and investigating for.

I intend revisiting PSKmail if I can figure how to set up the email to connect to my ISP and pull the messages - in my situation the ISP ADSL line is not the same as the one that I have my email account with. I'm thankful for the effort thats gone into developing this program, but unable to keep up with all the new versions while struggling to get the basics working.

PSKmail is a developing effort you should start if you want with the latest version, no trying to update soon.
I know Rein and Per, they are willing to help whenever.

Regards, Ralph ZL1TBG

Also regards Ralph you may connect to our radio server on 14.236 day and 7.045 at evening and night.

<<Do we have data from the various countries represented
on this list as to the real vs theoretical probable
role of Amateur Radio communications in disasters?