[pskmail] modes for emergency comms

  • From: <sanson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 22:43:10 +1200

Karel,

From my ZL perspective, there are areas where the govt agencies use their comms
for the main job and get amateurs to fill in the trivial roles, also there are
areas where the only organised and capable comms is the amateur systems on VHF
and HF. The voluntary role we used to provide in essential comms for car
rallies (WRC) has largely been replaced by commercial R/T , cellular and
Inmarsat services and the amateur teams downgraded to providing backup traffic.
I helped in these areas for 5 yrs and was AREC section leader for another 5.

There is no priority need for internet - but heavy use of message forms -
printable text records.

To fill this need I have found RFSM2400 near perfect: field tests with 5 watts
NVIS have connected every time and data got thru without fuss. The fact that
pdf files can be sent interests me  in the case of getting a search map or fax
type document out to a field search party.

I have not had enough experience understanding the functions FTP and mailbox
yet as its new to all the operators I'm testing with and i may need to learn to
write some scripts to get a few functions to operate automatically. One thing I
have tested is I run the server as autostartup and it sets up and runs on power
up. This is important because the unattended server needs to survive power
interruptions etc.

My personal use desire was to have remote internet / email connectivity, for a
friend with an RV, and this is what Pskmail is for. I have tested this also,
starting with the GMFSK and lately fldigi modes.

Unfortunately, my ADSL connection does not enable me to connect to my ISP for
email, so that part never works, and I have been unable to get a truly stable
program running that could be easily operated by anybody and survive a power
down restart. Tha actual PSK125 connections worked fine at 5 watts NVIS.

At this time I'm using RFSM2400 for the emergency comms projects, hoping to
extend that role to include the needs of the nomadic traveller, and my
microlight aircraft comms. If you have got familiar with how to deposit and
fetch the files on a PC via the internet (maybe by using PC remote access?) I'd
appreciate your help.

I intend revisiting PSKmail if I can figure how to set up the email to connect
to my ISP and pull the messages - in my situation the ISP ADSL line is not the
same as the one that I have my email account with. I'm thankful for the effort
thats gone into developing this program, but unable to keep up with all the new
versions while struggling to get the basics working.

Regards, Ralph ZL1TBG

<<Do we have data from the various countries represented
on this list as to the real vs theoretical probable
role of Amateur Radio communications in disasters?