[pskmail] Re: minor sucess

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:57:51 +0100

This would be theoretically possible in future, but not for all radios.

As soon as we switch to the new hamlib rigctl daemon we can also use the
S-meter reading in the
pskmail client. This is only available for those radios where s-meter readings
from hamlib are supported.

But S-meter reading is not the best criterion for judging signal quality. For
this Fldigi has a
signal quality indicator (the horizontal green bar in the lower right corner of
the display).
Many users think this is a strength reading, but in fact it shows signal
quality.

I could take to Dave about generating an average signal quality value and
exporting it to the
pskmail client.

Even if we had it in the client we would have to define a strategy for it. At
this moment we change the block size as a function of link errors (repeated
packets). The strategy is simple; once we get 2 wrong blocks in a frame we cut
the block size in half. And wherever we get a frame with at least 7 good blocks
the block size is doubled. This works well.
It should be possible to also change the speed as a function of signal quality.
The strategy would have to be fixed experimentally, requiring loads of testing.
I don't see that feasable with the number of users we have at the moment.

Until now I have done 99% of the system testing. It took 90% of development
time.
I will be in Spain starting mid-february for a new round of tests :)

Would it be possible for the client to detect the signal strength from the
server and have it automatically adjust the speeds accordingly??? just an idea,
maybe even have the client automatically adjust the server speed w/o typing in
any commands. Even before a connect is established.

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com