[pskmail] Re: java, again

  • From: Drew Smith <drew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:56:48 -0700

Per,

After another two hours fighting with java installs and paths and trying to get
the program to load, I am now at the following point - I can get J-mp3player to
load and run just fine.

For the record, I am using a pretty-close-to-stock Windows 7 Ultimate install.

However, when I run "java -jar jPskmail-2.0.29.jar", I get the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

> C:\Users\dsmith\Desktop>java -jar jPSKmail-2.0.29.jar
> configuration.xml
> jPSKmail ends here...
> gnu/io/SerialPortEven
> tListener
>         at javapskmail.Main.handlegps(Main.java:1942)
>         at javapskmail.Main.main(Main.java:375)
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: gnu.io.SerialPortEventListener
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         ... 2 more
>
> C:\Users\dsmith\Desktop>

…and that's where it stops.

Serial port event listener? I remember something in the manual about RXTX.
Let's go find that:

> Windows 98/NT/2000/XP/7:
>
> For installing the RXTX package you will find the necessary dll and jar files
> within the directory where you installed jPSKmail.
>
> Installation procedure:
>
> • copy rxtxSerial.dll to %JAVA_HOME%\bin,
> (%JAVA_HOME% is the folder where JRE is installed on your system; e.g.
> c:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_01)
>
> • copy RXTXcomm.jar to %JAVA_HOME%\lib\ext

…only there's no mention of this "directory where I installed jPSKmail". It's a
JAR file, sitting on my desktop. Is it *supposed* to be installed somewhere,
manually? Every other program I've "installed" on this machine has been via a
simple 'setup.exe'.

Digging around, I find that it's "installed" itself to C:\jpskmail.  Under that
directory, I dig until I find RXTXcomm.jar - but I can't find rxtxSerial.dll
anywhere. It's just not there, as far as I can tell.

For fun, let's try googling to find those files. Oh, here they are:
http://guides.machinescience.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=263 - let's try the
64-bit versions.

Copied into the appropriate directories, as per the manual, and trying "java
-jar jPSKmail-2.0.29.jar" again:

> C:\Users\dsmith\Desktop>java -jar jPSKmail-2.0.29.jar
> configuration.xml
> jPSKmail ends here...
> org/netbeans/lib/awte
> xtra/AbsoluteLayout
>         at javapskmail.mainpskmailui.initComponents(mainpskmailui.java:2888)
>         at javapskmail.mainpskmailui.<init>(mainpskmailui.java:169)
>         at javapskmail.Main.main(Main.java:381)
> org.netbeans.lib.awtextra.AbsoluteL
> ayout
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         ... 3 more
>
> C:\Users\dsmith\Desktop>

…and that's as far as I've gotten. I have no idea what netbeans are or why I
need to have them.

I'm heading out sailing tomorrow morning, crossing the Sea of Cortez for
Mazatlán - I was really hoping to be able to try out PSKMail enroute, but the
install process has been very frustrating so far.

Cheers,
- Drew.

--
Drew Smith (mux) <drew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, VA7DSX / VE0TF