[pskmail] Re: future feature?

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 22:27:38 +0200

Eddie,

for the connection to the packet network I recommend the following
system architecture:

* Keep the systems separate
* Connect the systems via a tcp socket, this can be on the same machine or
on a completely different one.
* You could e.g. run an (X)net server for the packet side on the same server as
the pskmail server. The (X)net node takes care of the packet protocols.
My basic philosophy is to never to generate functions that are available in
a well-tested package, but let the packages work together....
* At the moment only half the connection has been realized, i.e. you can telnet
out
from the pskmail system into the packet network. I use this to reach a packet
mailbox
in Germany. I have a telnet account on the (X)net server of db0fhn, and I can
connect
to any node in the international Igate packet network.
But I could just as well connect to a local (X)net node on the same machine.
* For the connection from the packet network into a pskmail server we need
to add a telnet socket to the pskmail server. This is on the todo list (with a
rather low priority).
* Of course all this is up for discussion...

Hope this helps,

73, Rein PA0R

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com