[pskmail] Re: fldigi issues

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:21:22 +1000

Hello Per,

I don't know if you use the latest version of Fldigi but I noticed some
issues when I upgraded from version 3.03 to 3.10 which seemed at the time to
only happen with the THOR mode (why?). There was significant re-writing of
the message interface when going to V3.10 and I suspect some bugs may have
been introduced at this point. I did some investigation at the time which
eliminated the server as a cause, but I could not find a logical reason for
the problem just by looking at the fldigi code. The archived thread was
posted on the 25 Mar 2009 with the subject "[pskmail] THOR mode and Fldigi
3.10 server issues" if you want to have a look at it.

Regarding Fldigi: The benefit of using Fldigi as a modem is that we benefit
from any improvements and additions in the modes used. The price we pay of
course is that our application of the software is not wide enough to get the
bugs identified and ironed out before the release.

So in my view we have two main options:

1. Get more closely integrated in the testing/development of Fldigi to
ensure we don't regularly break the working with Pskmail.

2. Fork out and trim down Fldigi to keep it simple enough that (rare)
changes are easier to manage. We could even go back a few versions to keep
the complexity down and resolve any issues it had then with the Pskmail
application.

Personally I think option 1 is better as some new features have real value
for the Pskmail application like RSID.

An alternative would be if Fldigi could be split between modem and user
interface, but I don't see the value of this for the larger digital
community.

Hope the weather is nice in the islands.

Best regards,

John (VK2ETA)

P.S: Steve's server (VK2ZSZ-1) is getting put to good use with VK1IAN double
crossing of the Simpson desert in Australia. We get regular updates of his
trip via Pskmail.