[pskmail] Re: first attempt to connect to VE7SUN

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:38:56 +0100

Hi Kyle,

the only advantage of runnning the server off a live CD is ease of installation.

It is always better to run the server off the hard disk. Moreover, every time
the server
needs a new perl module you need a new CD.

At the moment pskmail is still in basic development. Especially the file
transfer fetures need some
more work, and also some basic MIME capability for mail.

That means more perl modules will have to be installed in the future.

I have not tried the SSL stuff lately, as once it works you don't need to touch
it again.
But if you find an easier way, pse let us know :)

I run a remote server from home (PI4TUE, located at the Technical University 20
km form here),
which runs under vnc. I can connect to it via a
SSH tunnel, and I was even able to connect to it via Wifi from the camp site in
Spain (during the night
hours, when most skype connections were dead).

So it is perfectly possible to run a server remotely.

Now that we are on the subject, it is also VERY interesting to run an apache
web server, and
use a php script Per wrote to connect to the fldigi log file. It is extremely
useful for initial testing.
Sometimes you just want to know if the signal is getting through at all.
Have a look at http://www.crusefalk.se/gmfsk.php?lines=20&refresh=10
This is invaluable for a new user.

We may provide some more php scripts for server remote control in the future,
also the log file would be interesting...

Is there much advantage gained in running pskmail servers off of livecds?