[pskmail] Re: We all knew this was coming....

  • From: Jack Chomley <radio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 06:20:43 +1000

On 17/05/2012, at 5:29 AM, John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes Bernard I have been watching that one for a while now.
>
> It is mightily attractive and I have to admit that it is much easier to
> transport and operate than a radio amateur setup (even with just an FT817 and
> an Android phone).
>
> I will most likely go down that route when it becomes available here in
> Australia.
>
> It does not do the web page access but handles the two way comms and
> emergency very well for what I do.
>
> As a plus I won't have to spend days on underlying OS issues like
> compatibility between Linux versions and other library problems.
>
> 73, John

John,

Yes, it's another great use of technology but........like anything, always have
a backup as in a HF radio :-) I carry a SPOT Satellite Unit, which Mark VK2US
translates to the APRS network, as VK4JRC-13.
The SPOT is only a one way unit for simple canned msgs to send my status and
current location via SMS to a nominated cell phone number, it also sends a
location Beacon every 10 minutes.
It also has an SOS function that will bring battleships, helicopters and
anything else paramedics might use, to get to the location where I may be
stricken. I subscribe to a $200,000 SAR insurance policy as well........
I use it mainly on my motorcycle, in remote areas but I also take an FT-817nd
with either a Elecraft T1 battery powered tuner and hunk of wire or, an LNR
Precision EF10/20/40 end fed half wave antenna. This way, I have 2 comms
options.
I have always been a believer in not totally relying on 3rd party methods of
delivering comms, my HF radio sees to that! I have carried my FT-817 setup all
through Southern Africa on my motorcycle trips.
There will always be a requirement for a simple HF data messaging system that
it compact and reliable.

73,

Jack VK4JRC