[pskmail] Re: W3NR PSKmailserver (5)

  • From: Fred Reiselt <freiselt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:13:28 -0600

Hi pskmail group,

I have had a server and client running off and on since about last March here in Mississippi. I had it on 3640 kHz and used it from my home to my sailboat during sailing season on Pickwick Lake, TN. Rein and Per have really made some great leaps forward since I had everything running and I intend to get it all back up again when time allows. So, there will be another US server on sometime this winter. With the FCC rule changes, it will be in the 3585 to 3600 kHz region. I'll post to the mailing list and to the wiki when it is back up. I can put it on any frequency needed for testing, but the 80 meter band works best for my needs at the sailboat.

73,
Fred
wb5con@xxxxxxxx

Steven Pituch wrote:
Hi Rein and all,
Ever since the ARRL QST magazine stopped publishing their propagation maps I
have used them on the Internet.  See:
http://www.arrl.org/qst/propcharts/2006/12/mid.pdf
For those of us with dipoles, 20 meters here in Texas opens up (locally)
between about 11am and 4pm local time , since we are at the bottom of the
sun spot cycle.  This translates to a possible (local) opening from 17 to 22
UTC.  The propagation chart only has between 12 and 14 UTC as a possible
time for a DX contact between mid-USA and Western Europe.
We can consider making a sched.  I would suggest that we cheat and use IM or
MSN messenger to chat during the attempts.  That way one person can transmit
and the other can look on his waterfall for a signal, and we can alternate
the tasks of transmitting and listening.  The immediate feedback would help
tremendously if we have propagation.  Right now it appears fruitless to
monitor several frequencies for hours at a time pinging away, when you don't
know if you are heard, or whether the other station is even on the same
frequency.  Right now we have not made a first NA-NA, but EU-NA is still
possible.

If you have a state of the art propagation tool, the better propagation
predictions would help even more.

Regards,
Steve Pituch, W2MY