[pskmail] Re: Update PI4TUE

  • From: Fred Reiselt <freiselt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:58:45 -0500

I'm seeing about 5% for fldigi 3.10, and about 32% for Xorg while running a VNC session on the server.

It stays about the same when I kill the VNC session and use the local monitor.

Dell Pentium 4, 512 megs, Ubuntu 8.10.

73,
Fred - WB5CON

Ed wrote:
Rein Couperus wrote:
Upgraded PI4TUE to fldigi-3.11.1

The server was still running with 3.04, because there is an anomaly in fldigi-3.10, which eats 95% CPU on the server. 3.04 took only 5% CPU.

So I was eager to install fldigi-3.11.1. It turned out that also 3.11.1 eats 95% CPU, resulting in problems to decode a PSk250 stream which happens if I try to upload an email with an attachment.

Next thing I tried was to run 3.11.1 under Xvfb. CPU load dropped to under 5%, which means that there is a serious problem with how fldigi interfaces with the X-server.

I don't get this problem on the desktop, which has a much faster CPU (the CPU of the server is 2 GHz). It looks like the problem occurs especially when fldigi runs under a vnc session.

Anyway, it runs fine now under Xvfb.
To start fldigi under Xvfb do the following in a terminal (use screen as your display manager):
Xvfb -ac :99
fldigi -display :99 &

fldigi is now running headless and takes only 5% CPU, leading to a much better
decoding of PSK250

I'm seeing 10% max cpu useage here.

But I'm only running a client and no VNC session.

3.0Ghz with 1 Gig of ram.

Ed W3NR