[pskmail] Re: Trouble connecting

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:46:38 +1100

Hi David,

There is a solution in store and I have been testing it for a while
now to ensure no adverse effects.

I have seen the problem you mention a while back but never got round
to it until recently.

The way RSID is decoded currently only allows for a limited number of
errors (in fact one only) out of the heavily encoded frame that is
sent.

This is to avoid "false-positives", but in our application the lack of
decoding is a real issue for the slow modes that end-up having a much
higher sensitivity that RSID which, as you explained, defeats the
purpose.

In my tests RSID would decode with the same rate of errors with
signals between 3 to 5dBs above the ones needed for THOR8, THOR11 and
MFSK16.

So I have made changes for the RSID in my test version of Fldigi at
home and have been testing for a while now. I relaxed the decoding
requirements and I get down to the same level of sensitivity than
THOR8.

I get some rare false positives but most of them are with frequencies
far away from the listening frequency so we can easily eliminate those
based on the frequency difference anyway.

And if we do get one in a hundred or so false positives then we are
still much in front compared to the current situation.

So now what is left to do is to get the changes incorporated into
Fldigi if we agree this would be a plus. Of course that change would
apply only to Fldigi when used as a Pskmail modem.

Let me know if you want the code change to compile test.

Regards,

John