[pskmail] Re: To do and wish list for the java client + feedback on V0.3.3

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:25:23 +1100

Per,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I will try to document what fldigi is sending when setting modes from the
Java client. Please note that was under WinXP so may not be visible under
Linux.

2. For the automode I had a look around the fldigi documentation and code
and this is what I think could be of value:

A. Setting modem RSID on and off: There is an xmlrpc server built into
Fldigi which provides the main.rsid and main.rx methods which seem to be
setting the rsid receive on or off. I don't know if there is a method to set
and read the mode and to set or reset the transmission of rsid. Maybe these
methods can be built into the ARQ side of the conversation rather than using
a separate connection to the xmlrpc server if it makes sense.

Only issue I can see is backwards compatibility since the enabling of rsid
would prevent reception of any frame until a positive rsid is received. But
since the s/n ratio needed for detection is between -18 and 16dB, it is par
with the best modes we use for Pskmail and therefore should not result in
more difficult link-ups. On the contrary it would elimitate the issue of
mode selection within a certain minute of the scanning sequence and allow
the best choice for the conditions and purpose (connected or unproto modes).

B. The sequence I would propose is the following:

B1. Server side: have the RX rsid switched on while listening (no session in
progress). The RX rsid will go off automatically on receipt of a valid ID
then the mode will be set accordingly by fldigi and normal squelch will
apply.

On the TX side, keep rsid on until first reply from client (i.e send connect
ack and initial status message with rsid). Then switch rsid off as it saves
about 3 seconds per frame until disconnection or request for a mode change.

When a mode change is requested (using the current method (~SPEEDxxx!),
acknowledge the request, then change mode and set TX rsid on until receipt
of an ack from the client. Then switch TX rsid off.

Unproto modes (i.e. beacon) always set TX rsid on.

B2. On the client side: RX rsid on when not connected so it can receive
beacons and TTY connect requests in any mode. On connect set TX rsid on,
until it receives a connect ack from the server. Then switch TX and RX rsid
off for the duration of the session. If a mode change is requested, wait for
receipt of acknowledgment of our request from server, then switch RX rsid on
until next server frame is received.

For unproto modes, always set TX rsid on at the client side.

This simplifies the on-the-fly change of mode and allows to start with a
secure mode (i.e. MFSK16 or Thor11 for example and work the way up to faster
speeds seamlessly).

I believe this would allow for more robust modes to be used for server
beaconning and APRS reporting (with the mode information included in the
beacon text for information to the clients), while not compromising high
speed connects when conditions permit.

In fact the next (easy?) step could be server or client initiated automatic
modes/speed adjustments based on the error rate since only reducing block
size produces a rapidly diminishing return (due to the fixed overheads of
headers and footers). This could be a good "selling point" I suggest.

The new protocol (no client polls) certainly allows for a much simpler
implementation of variable mode/speed QSOs.

Best regards,

John (VK2ETA)