[pskmail] Time for APRS only fq?

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 14:15:58 +0200

Hi all,

This is just an idea I had and it's been discussed before. Anyway, while
listening to the traffic on 30 meters the other day I had a user connect
to the server. Traffic was kind of slow at the start as another user
sent a beacon and all the other servers decided to respond in turn.
After a while all that was over and the traffic resumed but then another
beacon was sent from someone and it started all over.
In the past we discussed having an APRS only frequency, separating
connected and unconnected traffic seems like a good idea to me. We
continue to jam each other as aprs beacons do not stop when someone else
is connected to a server. We could use summoning to move the server to a
traffic frequency but that also means the client will have to move after
connect. If the servers would listen on two frequencies on 30 meters and
only allow connects on one of them then perhaps we could make clients
connect on the correct frequency and stay on aprs on the other? Like
minute 0 for connects and the rest for aprs?
Am I the only one that thinks  connected and unconnected traffic on the
same frequency is a problem?
Any good ideas regarding what to do about it? If anything?

73, Per
sm0rwo