[pskmail] Re: Test result

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:52:45 +1100

Hi Gunnar,

The best option I believe would be for someone in Europe to remotely look
at your server PC while doing the tests. I use reverse VNC for that purpose
as it is very simple and is initiated by a person in front of the PC so
there is no security issue.

Otherwise from here I made a list bellow of the items to check. Sorry if
some are trivial and obvious to you, but I am trying to make a complete
list.

Since you can get the other servers to respond AND you get better responses
from your server in PSK250R than in PSK500R I come to the conclusion that
a) your IC-703 setup is working fine and b) something on your server side
is not quite right.

I would check, in descending order of likelihood, the following items:

1. The signal levels in Fldigi. The little diamond at the bottom right part
of the Fldigi window, next to the AFC button,  should be green all the
time, assuming your rig's AGC is working properly. Black = signal too high,
Yellow or RED = signal input too high.

2. The frequency set on Fldigi should be 1500Hz since that is what your
offset must be in the config file (as the server puts the dial frequency
1500hz below the freq table frequencies).

3. The settings in Fldigi, in particular:  in the misc/pskmail tab "Carrier
Frequency" is 1500, "reset to carrier" is ticked, the search range is about
30 to 50Hz and the "acquisition S/N" between  6 to 13dB (9 by default) , in
the misc/sweet spot tab the "sweet spot" at 1500hz for "psk et al".

Further tests I would do:

1. Try some beacons in MFSK32 and THOR22 modes, settting TX RSID ON in
Fldigi before sending the beacon. Note how they work compared to PSK250R
and between themselves.

2. If you can use a remote access (WIFI or wireless network), used the VNC
server / client combination to monitor your server while trying from a
distance. Monitoring the Fldigi window is particularly informative
regarding the signals and the decoded frames.

Hope this helps,

73, John