[pskmail] Re: Stuck trying to debug pop access to gmail

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:34:01 +0200

Hi Steve,

I just tried poptest.pl to get my pop email from gmail and it worked fine. Poptest.pl contains the same method that is in the server, I just moved it to a test script before to make it easier to test it. If you could try that script then you could make sure your gmail pop settings are ok before you have to debug anything. Mail in pskmail is handled by the pskmail server, your client send the details to the server that gets the mail for you. That means its the server that has to worry about ssl to the gmail pop servers. jPSKmail does not have to worry about any certificates, it just send the details to the server that gets your mail. This approach makes sense in many ways, not least in that we avoid encryption over the air. That is unfortunately not allowed in most countries (it's fine here in Sweden btw). So, yes, jPSKmail 1.5.29 does support pop from gmail.

73, Per
sm0rwo

2014-06-14 23:20, Stephen Rector skrev:
PSKmail folks:

I’m stuck for the past week trying to debug a problem getting pop email from gmail. My gmail
is enabled for pop, and I can send emails out through its smtp when I connect to my test
pskmail server (Puppy Linux). But I always get the message on connecting:  "Failed to get
your email, pse upload correct email settings.”  When I issue QTC from the client, the server
response is "No mail"

I've tried to set debugmail and monitor mode in rflinkserver.pl, but it seems to have no
effect. I've even looked at the raw packets coming in and out of the server with
wireshark - it does initiate a TCP IP connection with the gmail pop server, but it does
not seem to go beyond a certain point. I see one line which is labeled "alarm,"
- (i did not preserve the logfile for the complete name for that packet.)

Does PSKmail 1.5.29 support pop through gmail, now that it requires strict SSL
certificate? My understanding is that the client only needs the server's
(gmail's) cert..

Steve NU7B