[pskmail] Re: Some test on interface to APRS viewer

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 11:28:25 +0100

Hi Franco,

Will try to comment on your findings:

> I have made some test on APRS viewer interface
>
> I am running Fldigi 3.20.33, jpskmail 0.8.5.9.231210 and Xastir on
> Ubuntu 10.04. My installation is a old setup of jpskmail with only .jar
> file update.
>
> With Fldigi and Jpskmail running (no Xastir):
>
> If I open menu -> edit ->preferences I send my rig in TX mode
> Getting APRS stations near my QTH I get some "null pointer" pop-up
> messages with this info:
>
>  From class: class java.lang.NullPointerException
> Error when writing to external aprs mapper
>
> There is no save of received positions

I can not replicate this. But, I can see how you could get there:
1. Start fldigi and jpskmail. Start Xastir and open a connection to the
jpskmail socket.
2. Disconnect xastir from jpskmail. The good disconnect will close the
socket and set the object to null.
3. Do some aprs. That will try to send aprs to the socket that is closed
and set to null = the warning message you saw. It can not send aprs data
to the client that is disconnected.

I have now added a double check for freshly disconnected sockets so you
should not have to see that warning again. For now, just restart
jpskmail if you disconnect xastir.

> Running Xastir when jpskmail not connected I get no positions from
> localhost APRS server also if I have received (in previous connection)
> some APRS position.

There is no external aprs server, its all built in to jpskmail so if you
close jpskmail then you have no aprs server.

> Exiting from Xastir I put my rig in TX mode
>
> After uncheck APRS server in preferences and save pref, I can't put my
> rig in TX mode.
> After this I need to restart jpskmail for getting a working config.
> Without restart I can't connect or ping (no TX)

Interesting, have no idea why.

> After restart, without APRS server active, no "null pointer" message.

Yes, after a clean restart you would not have disconnected socket
sessions.

> For today no other test is possible. I can only connect DL9YCS-3 from
> 8:00 to approx 9:00 UTC. No other server in responding to my ping from
> my QTH!

My parents are up so I have restarted my server, it should be fine on
30/20 or 17 meters for you.

> Regards
> Franco Spinelli
> IW2DHW