[pskmail] Slowly getting there

  • From: "Brett E. Wynkoop" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 03:40:42 -0400 (EDT)

Greeting-

I am making progress on getting a pskmail server running in NYC.  Yesterday I
put up a Dipole for HF.  Today with 2.5 watts SSB I spoke to Chicago (800 miles)
on 15 meters, and had some groundwave contacts out to 100 miles on 75 meters,
again with 2.5 watts SSB.

My next step is to update my radio/computer interface cable.  At the moment
there
is no T/R switching.  When I last used it I was running rtty, sstv, and psk31.
I used a manual xmit switch.  None of the radios I am thinking of testing with
have vox, or I would just use that.  My computers do not have serial ports, so
usb to serial adapters would be needed for keying the transmitter.  To keep
from
having to worry about serial ports for t/r switching I am thinking of building a
small passive VOX that needs no power.  I saw a schematic for one that derives
all power from the audio fed into it.

Does anyone have any experience with using VOX for pskmail instead of having the
radio key the xmiter.

73

-Brett
wa3yre