[pskmail] Re: Server Troubleshooting Guide?

  • From: barkerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:20:41 -0600 (MDT)

John: Well I knew it was something stupid - I had the carrier set at 1500
instead of 1000 Hz on the server. It should have twigged when I saw the
red cursor bars 500 Hz higher than the RX signal. With the strong test
signal I suppose the software detected enough signal on the edge to lock
into it sporadically. Now for the real world test - I'm going camping this
weekend about 75 Km from the server.

Server Software: Fldigi 3.20.28, Pskmail 1.0.3
Client: Fldigi 3.20.19, jPskmail 0.5.2

Thanks for the pointers and sorry for the trouble.

73,
Gary

> Hi Gary,
>
> Glad to see you can give it another go.
>
> Can you tell me what versions of fldigi and pksmail you are using for
both the server and client.

> Here is what I would do to troubleshoot the system:
>
> Step 1, I would check that the pskmail applications are launched after
the Fldigi to ensure they connect to the modem (fldigi) application. I
would check that the server's fldigi has the RXID button lit
> (selected). This is displayed in the top right corner of the fldigi
application.

> Step 2, I would check, with the system ready on both sides (client and
server), that the fldigi applications can exchange data properly. There
are a few macros in Fldigi that you can use to test that like a CQ. If
this does not work it means there is an issue at the sound system or
between the PC and the radio most likely.

> Step 3, Assuming the above works I would send a ping from the client and
check on both fldigis (the client and the server) that the ping frame is
received as it is sent. For that, check what is between the <SOH> and
the <EOT>. It should be for your call sign: "<SOH>00uVE6UQ:7 3C1A<EOT>".

> If you get to that point the whole system should work then.
>
> Let us know  how you go.
>
> All the best,
>
> 73, John (VK2ETA)
>
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:12 AM,  <barkerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ok, John, I finally got back to troubleshooting this system. What are the
>> next steps to try? The server still doesn't reply to the pings and I've
tried several modes. What sort of minimum signal level should I be
trying?
>> 73,
>> Gary
>>> Hi Gary,
>>> That makes sense then. At home, for doing on-air tests, I have made up
a small "leaky" coax cable between the rig and the dummy load by
exposing the internal sleeve of the coax cable mid-way.
>>> That way I can expose or or less of the sleeve (where the central
conductor is) and I can re-create approximately what happens on air as
I have variable attenuation.
>>> In the past I have used a 100W incandescent bulb fed through a tuner
as a very leaky dummy load. But then I could not adjust the