[pskmail] Re: Server Troubleshooting Guide?

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:15:43 +1000

Hi Gary,

Glad to see you can give it another go.

Can you tell me what versions of fldigi and pksmail you are using for
both the server and client.

Here is what I would do to troubleshoot the system:

Step 1, I would check that the pskmail applications are launched after
the Fldigi to ensure they connect to the modem (fldigi) application. I
would check that the server's fldigi has the RXID button lit
(selected). This is displayed in the top right corner of the fldigi
application.

Step 2, I would check, with the system ready on both sides (client and
server), that the fldigi applications can exchange data properly.
There are a few macros in Fldigi that you can use to test that like a
CQ. If this does not work it means there is an issue at the sound
system or between the PC and the radio most likely.

Step 3, Assuming the above works I would send a ping from the client
and check on both fldigis (the client and the server) that the ping
frame is received as it is sent. For that, check what is between the
<SOH> and the <EOT>. It should be for your call sign: "<SOH>00uVE6UQ:7
3C1A<EOT>".

If you get to that point the whole system should work then.

Let us know  how you go.

All the best,

73, John (VK2ETA)

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:12 AM,  <barkerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, John, I finally got back to troubleshooting this system. What are the
> next steps to try? The server still doesn't reply to the pings and I've
> tried several modes. What sort of minimum signal level should I be trying?
>
> 73,
> Gary
>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> That makes sense then. At home, for doing on-air tests, I have made up
>> a small "leaky" coax cable between the rig and the dummy load by
>> exposing the internal sleeve of the coax cable mid-way.
>>
>> That way I can expose or or less of the sleeve (where the central
>> conductor is) and I can re-create approximately what happens on air as
>> I have variable attenuation.
>>
>> In the past I have used a 100W incandescent bulb fed through a tuner
>> as a very leaky dummy load. But then I could not adjust the
>> attenuation of the signal.
>>
>> Good luck with the system.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> 73, John
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 2:15 PM,  <barkerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> John: The first ping from the client appeared ok on the server's fldigi
>>> screen, however it did not respond since I forgot to enable pskmail on
>>> the
>>> server. The next few client pings only appeared as gibberish on the
>>> server
>>> and with no response. I then appeared to have some sort of memory leak
>>> (and screen freeze) on the client and ran out of time. I'll be out of
>>> town
>>> for the next few days so I'll have to resume testing after that. Thanks