[pskmail] Re: Server & Hamlib Question....

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:59:12 +0200

Hi Rob,

Nice project, I'll try to answer below:

fre 2007-09-28 klockan 06:46 -0700 skrev Rob Frohne:
> Hi,
>
> We are getting ready to install PSKMail at the University club
> station.   Initially this will be for a station located in the remote
> jungles of Guiana, and perhaps eventually we will make it a "public"
> server and use a vertical.  We plan to use a triband yagi pointed that
> direction.  One difficulty we are facing is that we may want to use the
> antenna or even the rig for other things occasionally and there will
> probably be a problem with educating all the users about the PSKMail
> server.  I am pondering what the best way to make this work is.  Here
> are some questions that come to mind while trying to figure this out.
>
> 1)  Is there an easy way to put PSKMail server on pause?

Just stop rflinkserver, push ctrl-c. Restart when finished.

> 2)  When it comes out of pause (or stop if that is better) will it
> automatically
> set the frequency of the rig?  What about mode and other settings?

Yes and no. If you have set it to scan then the answer is yes, if not
then no. I use memories to hold my scanned channels, the memories hold
the mode, split etc. What radio is it? How much is stored in a memory?
All I have to reset after using the radio is the volume (icom 706mk2g).

> 3)  What kind of modulation is the beacon using?  PSK125 or CW?  In everyday
> operation,
> how important is it to have a beacon?  I don't really want to QRM other
> stations, and
> operation is initially planned for 20 meters which is pretty crowded.

PSK125 or the mode you set in the scan. Normally PSK125. The beacon is
not mandatory, just shut it off if you do not want it. There is a
setting in pskmailrc.pl that controls it.

> 4)  What frequencies are recommended?  Has there been any coordination of
> this?

I would recommend a legal frequency :-)
Check the server page on the wiki (pskmailservers) where currently used
frequencies are listed. There has been some coordination on 30 meters.

> 5)  Is there a good way to run outgoing messages through a human filter?  We
> don't
> want spam going out and there are some rules regarding message content here
> in the US
> anyway.

Not in pskmail at the moment. I guess you can take care of that in
postfix, you can at least set it up to bcc someone and monitor what is
going on.

> Thanks for the advice!
>
> 73,
>
> Rob, KL7NA