[pskmail] Server 1.5

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:28:02 +0100 (CET)

Server 1.5.0 is available for download/testing.

Change: Facility for blocking PSK500 and PSK500R modes, especially for our US
sites.

Reason: Modes > 300 Bd are still not available in the US. The US servers use
PSK250 as default mode.
When a client calls such a server in PSK500R, that server will accept the
client's mode table and
service the connection also with the higher speeds.

The solution is to provide a flag in the pskmailrc.pl config file.
To prevent version 1.5.0 from transmitting in PSK500 and PSK500R, set the
following in pskmailrc.pl:
$MARS=0;
$NO500=1;
and use PSK250,PSK250,PSK250,PSK250,PSK250 in the freqs.txt file.

For MARS stations having $MARS=1; the $NO500 flag is ignored.

What happens if a client calls in PSK500R?
That depends on the mode table the client is using.
If e.g. the mode table is PSK500-PSK500R-PSK250R-MFSK32, the server
will build its mode table as PSK250R-MFSK32.
If the client mode table is PSK250-PSK250R-MFSK32-THOR22, the server
will use PSK250-PSK250R-MFSk32-THOR22.
This means the server will only include modes which are in the client mode
table, and
drop the fast modes if $NO500 is set.
In case an old client (before 1.0) is used, the mode will be fixed in PSK250 as
these clients don't send a mode table.
The faster modes will still be decoded, but the server will answer beacons,
pings etc. in PSK250.

I have tested this on PI4TUE, and could not find erroneous behaviour...

This is of course not only interesting for the US servers, but also for EU
clients who work US servers.

Happy testing... let me know if it does not work as planned...