[pskmail] Sending local mail via another server, server 2.0.3

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:35:30 +0100 (CET)

When you want to send local mail to somebody on a server you can not reach directly, you can use another server to forward your mail to the destination. E.g. you want to send local mail to PA0R@PI4TUE, but you can not work PI4TUE... then drop the mail off at e.g. 9A1CRA. If both 9A1CRA and PI4TUE have a working internet connection, 9A1CRA will send your message to a forwarding server on pskmail.org.

Servers with version 2.0.2 and higher will look every 5 minutes if there is mail waiting for them, and retrieve and store the mail. This way you could send mail for N2TIF@WB2LMV via KB2PNM.
When one of the stations has no internet connection the servers will try to forward the message over the air. This works with 1 hop only, as the HF footprint of the servers is enormous. I think this feature will be interesting for EMCOMM users...
All this is still experimental, so reports are welcome on the mailing list...

jPSKmail-2.0.22 is a self-contained program running on the java jvm.
The code is beta, and there are still some rough edges, but if it is only tested @PA0R we will never finish it...

The new server, 2.0.3 includes adaptations for the use in the MARS network, and some bug fixes.

In case there is a need to set up another grouping instead of the pskmail.org forwarder,
pse contact me directly for the software, it is GPL as usual...

Pse send test results to the pskmail mailing list on freelists.org.